On Friday, May 10th, Saint Anthony Catholic School invited students, families, and members of the community to commemorate the 135th anniversary of the school. San Antonio Mayor Mark B. Anderson presented a proclamation to the school honoring this tremendous milestone.
The City of San Antonio thanks all those who work to maintain Saint Anthony Catholic School's exceptional reputation of providing quality education to students and being a cornerstone of the San Antonio community.
PROCLAMATION CELEBRATING THE 135th ANNIVERSARY
OF SAINT ANTHONY CATHOLIC SCHOOL
WHEREAS, on April 29, 1884, after six months of Mrs. C. Cecelia Morse educating 14 local children in her home, St. Anthony School was established by
Fr. E.J. Dunne, by moving the classes to St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church
so that more children could attend; and then into San Antonio's first schoolhouse
in mid-November 1884; and
WHEREAS, in 1889 the Benedictine Sisters of Florida assumed administration of St. Anthony of Padua School, and remained for 119 years; and
WHEREAS, in 2010 the Franciscan Sisters of St. Elizabeth of Hungary arrived at St. Anthony Interparochial Catholic School; and
WHEREAS, in 2012 St. Anthony Interparochial Catholic School became a Diocesan School of the Diocese of St. Petersburg; and
WHEREAS, at 135 continuous years, St. Anthony Catholic School is by far
the oldest school of any kind in continuous existence in Pasco County; and
WHEREAS, for 135 years St. Anthony Catholic School has offered to area children quality education regardless of race or religion; it has helped to nourish
the spiritual, moral and educational needs of our youth; it has fostered character development and community service; its alumni have gone on to success in a wide range of endeavors (including numerous city commissioners), and contributed to
the betterment of society as a whole.
NOW, THEREFORE, this 10th day of May, 2019, the City Commission of
the City of San Antonio, Florida wishes to congratulate St. Anthony Catholic School upon reaching this milestone and to express appreciation for 135 years of educational service to the community.